Most properly known as the Iosif Stalin 2 tank (IS-2) it is also widely known as the anglicised Joseph Stalin 2 (JS-2) heavy tank.
Making its combat debut early in 1944, the IS-2 was designed predominantly as a heavy tank to break through enemy lines, able to withstand the potent German anti-tank weaponry and with a 122mm gun able to defeat the likes of the German Panther and Tiger tanks.
- 3 hard plastic Soviet IS-2 heavy tanks
- A detailed tank commander
- An instruction and painting guide
- A full colour waterslide decal sheet
- Bolt Action stat cards for an easy gaming reference
- Tank damage markers to give your games a realistic aspect
- 8 multi-pose plastic Soviet infantry to use as Tank Riders
IS-2s were assigned to independent heavy tank regiments and the elite Guards battalions in particular. Used to reinforce the most vital areas of the Soviet attack they would support the infantry during assaults, destroying fortifications, etc. with their devastating high explosive shells. Once the breakthrough had been achieved, lighter Soviet tanks would rush through to exploit the breach and cause havoc in the enemy lines.
This IS-2 is the later variant with sloped instead of stepped glacis plate. Known as the 1944 model IS-2, it led the way into the shattered remains of Berlin during the last days of Hitler’s Third Reich...
One of the enduring images of the Soviet army in WWII is their tanks speeding along covered in Soviet soldiers. These tank riders offered valuable protection from enemy infantry in a truly symbiotic relationship.