The GMC CCKW-353 was a 2½ ton 6x6 US Army cargo truck that saw extensive service in World War II and afterwards. The original “Deuce and a Half” (a reference to its tonnage), it won fame as the backbone of the famed Red Ball Express that kept the Allied armies supplied as they pushed eastward after the Normandy invasion. The 6×6 M35 began to replace the CCKW in 1950, but it remained in active US service until the mid-1960s. It also saw service with several other nations, many of which continued to use it well into the 1990s.
In 1940, the US Army set a requirement for a 6×6 truck with a 12ft (3.7m) cargo area and a 2½ ton (2,268kg) off-road payload. General Motors Corporation’s design was chosen by the Army and went into production as the CCKW. “CCKW” was derived from GMC nomenclature:
“C” - designed in 1941, “C” - conventional cab, “K” - all-wheel drive, and “W” - dual rear axles.
The CCKW was produced in both short (145 inch) wheelbase and long (164 inch) wheelbase versions. The short wheelbase version was intended for use as an artillery prime mover, while the long wheelbase version was for all other purposes. The standard version could carry 12 men in addition to the driver. There were also numerous specialized models, including a gasoline tanker and radio truck. Initially, the CCKW was built with an enclosed cab, but during production an open cab was introduced to save materials and shipping space. Many vehicles were fitted with a ring mount for a machine gun. A number of CCKWs were also built with a power winch.
By the time production ended in 1945, 562,750 CCKWs in all variants had been built, making it the second most numerous US vehicle after the Jeep.
This highly detailed plastic kit depicts a GMC CCKW-353 with an open cab (moulded as a single piece) and optional canvas roof. It can be assembled with or without the machine gun ring mount and winch. The kit also includes an optional canvas canopy, with a choice of an open or closed rear tarpaulin cover and tailgate.
£18.00 Regular Price